After having been recently released, the Legend of Grimrock 2 has become the hottest video game of the moment. In spite of this, there are still a couple of shortcomings that can greatly impact your performance and experience, meaning that you will not be able to enjoy the game to the fullest if they show up. Before we proceed to listing 10 fixes for the Legend of Grimrock 2, make sure that your PC meets the minimum system requirements needed for the game to work, and that there is no potential malware, Trojan, or virus that might prevent it from functioning properly.
Top 10 Fixes for Legend of Grimrock 2 Crashes, Errors, Won’t Start, Lagging, Black Screen, Low FPS, Blurry, Invisible Mouse, D3DError, D3DX9_43 DLL Missing
1. Legend of Grimrock 2 won’t run.
Install the Microsoft VC++ 2010 Redistributable Package to the DirectX folder.
- Go to Microsoft’s website, and download Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.
- Go to the DirectX folder that is located in (C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Legend of Grimrock/DirectX).
- Install the VC++ 2010 Redistributable Package to that folder.
- Run Legend of Grimrock 2.
2. Legend of Grimrock 2 crashes upon startup.
If the game crashes upon startup, you will have to reset the settings of the game. Go to Documents > Almost Human > Legend of Grimrock 2, and look for a file named “grimrock.cfg.” Once you locate it, delete it. This will reset the settings, which will fix the appcrash issue.
3. Legend of Grimrock 2 runs slowly.
- Check out if the v-sync setting if turned on. If yes, turn it off, as it can make the game run sluggishly.
- If the v-sync is already turned off, you might need to force it on.
- If adjusting the v-sync setting isn’t enough, lower the game resolution.
- Update your graphics card drivers.
4. Screen appears black.
If the screen appears black but the torches are visible, you can correct that by resetting graphics drivers to default values from the control panel. Alternatively, you can disable anti-aliasing, which seems to be the most frequent cause of black screen with AMD cards.
5. Graphics are blurry.
If small text or graphics appear a bit blurry, then there might be a problem with Mipmap Detail Level in the AMD VISION Engine Control Center.
- Set the Mipmap Detail Level to “Quality.”
- Disable Catalyst AI.
- Set everything else to App Controlled/off.
6. Mouse cursor isn’t visible.
Disabling mouse pointer trails should fix this issue, and make the mouse cursor visible again.
7. D3DError. D3DError – D3DXCompileShader failed: ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT.
To solve this error, you will have to modify a new DirectX installer.
- Download the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft’s website.
- Extract the “DXSetup.exe” file to a folder.
- Enter the following subfolders: “32 bit folder – WindowsSysWOW64” and “64 bit folder – WindowsSystem32.”
- Delete “D3DCompiler_43.dll,” D3DX9_43.dll,” and “d3dx11_43.dll” files.
- Rerun the “DXSetup.exe” file from the original downloaded archive.
8. Steam says that Legend of Grimrock 2 isn’t out yet.
Close and restart Steam, then check your regional settings.
9. Legend of Grimrock 2 has no reaction to clicks.
If the game has no reaction to clicks, you’ll want to make a couple of modifications to the “grimrock.cfg” file.
- Go to (local/share/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock/grimrock.cfg).
- Change displayMode to 2 or 3.
- Set game resolution based on your PC’s monitor resolution.
- Save the file, and rerun Legend of Grimrock 2.
10. System error: d3dx9_43.dll missing.
If the DirectX version you are using isn’t updated, there’s a good chance that you’ll be encountering this system error. To fix it, uninstall the DirectX version you have, and restart your PC. Download and install the latest version of DirectX provided on Microsoft’s website, restart your machine again, and rerun Legend of Grimrock 2 – the error should be fixed now. You can also use this tool to update your DirectX drivers automatically.