Civilization: Beyond Earth is a considerably new real-time strategy (RTS) game. Although this is a fine RTS game that offers a lot of fun, there are unfortunately quite a few Civilization: Beyond Earth crashes that we, the gamers, have to deal with. Therefore, you may want to pay attention to the list of fixes available here. Hopefully, they will help solve your problems related to the game. Yet, before we begin, perhaps it is wise for you to make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the game. Additionally, scanning if your computer has any viruses is a good idea as well because viruses can often trigger numerous issues when you are trying to run an executable file.
Top 10 Fixes for Civilization: Beyond Earth Crashes, Errors, Won’t Start, DLL, 1920×1080, Low FPS, Unlock game, 24Hz, Stuck loading, Stutter Audio
1. Civilization: Beyond Earth won’t start.
- Turn off your antivirus and disable your internet connection so as to prevent errors from emerging during installation.
- Uninstall the game and visual C redistributable files.
- Clean your Windows registry. Note: it is recommended that you use third party registry cleaner. If you try to clean your Windows registry manually and do something wrong, your system may completely fail to start.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the game.
- Turn on your antivirus, connect to the internet and update the drivers for your video graphics adapter (VGA) card as well as your sound card.
2. Civilization: Beyond Earth crashes with DLL error message while opening
Reinstall or update the DirectX version running on your computer. Alternatively, you can do the steps mentioned below:
- Search for the DLL file specified
- Copy and paste the file in question into the game installation directory on your computer.
3. Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080) unavailable.
- Go to the Options menu.
- Uncheck fullscreen option and apply the change.
- You can now choose the full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution and a refresh rate of 60 Hz.
- Revert to fullscreen mode.
- Note: You have to do this whenever you want to start the game.
4. Civilization: Beyond Earth crashes. Low frame rates per second.
- Locate the config.ini file that corresponds to the game. It’s usually stored in “Documents/My Games/Civilization: Beyond Earth”.
- Right-click on the config.ini file and choose to open it with Notepad.
- Find ‘EnableGameCoreThreading’ and change the value from 1 to 0. It should result in ‘EnableGameCoreThreading = 0’ (without quotes).
- Save the file.
- Right-click on it, choose properties and tick the box for the ‘read-only’ option.
5. Civilization: Beyond Earth map is blurry.
Disable the Depth of Field feature of the game:
- Go to “Documents/My Games/Civilization: Beyond Earth”.
- Right-click on the GraphicsSettings.ini file and open it with Notepad.
- Change ‘EnableDoF = 1’ to ‘EnableDoF = 0’.
- Save the file and change the properties to read-only.
6. Game won’t unlock.
By October 24, 2014, the game should have become fully playable. However, for those with encrypted preload version of the game on Steam, it takes some time for Steam to completely decrypt the game files and then to copy them to the proper locations.
7. Resolution gets stuck at the refresh rate of 24 Hz.
Here’s the solution (works only with AMD Mantle):
- Browse “Documents/My Games/Civilization: Beyond Earth”.
- Open the GraphicsSettings.ini file with Notepad.
- Change the values of resolution (WindowResX and WindowResY) and refresh rate to the desired values.
8. Game has stuttering audio/video.
9. Game gets stuck on loading screen.
Reinstall and rerun the Visual C redistributable files.
10. Civilization: Beyond Earth crashes while trying to skip the intro video.
Press Alt+F4 and choose ‘No’ when prompted if you want to quit the game.
There are plenty of gamers that confirm the Civilization: Beyond Earth works just fine for them. However, considering the diverse range of PC configurations available out there, developers may often have a hard time trying to polish their games to make sure they run smoothly across most, if not all, configurations. So, if the list above does not incorporate your issues related to the game, you are welcome to let us know about your issue using the comment box below and we’ll try to help you as much as we can.