After a controversial pre-launch campaign (murderous nuns, anyone?) Hitman: Absolution finally hits the shelves and gives us new stuff like contracts mode and much improved gameplay and mechanics. SQUARE ENIX fails to polish on the technical side, as thousands of fans worldwide are having launch and download issues, alongside the typical freezes and crash errors. Our Crash Wiki team has prepared a guide to help you sort these out. Let us know in the comments if you have suggestions or encounter other bugs not posted here.
Hitman: Absolution Crash and Freeze when loading, Stuck at Preload, Out of memory errors, Poor FPS, No Sound, Won’t start
Error – This game is currently unavailable (corrupt game files)
Solution is to verify the game files, then restart steam. Restarting is very important. After a small update (about 11MB) it should launch properly.
Hitman: Absolution freezes and crashes during loading screens and cutscenes
If you get these freezes and crashes, try the following:
- Right-click Hitman: Absolution > Properties > Local Files tab > Verify Integrity of Game Cache
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Hitman: Absolution performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Hitman: Absolution, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Hitman: Absolution
- Disable V-sync, restart Hitman: Absolution
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the Hitman: Absolution exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
Game is unreleased, cannot play Hitman: Absolution
Try this solution from mp2kx:
- Cut and paste your Hitman: Absolution folder from your common files in a different folder (e.g., desktop, etc.)
- Delete local content in steam
- Begin downloading the game again and then immediately pause it
- Put back your Hitman: Absolution folder in your common files
Hitman: Absolution is stuck at preloaded
Please try the solution above.
No sound in Hitman: Absolution
If you get sounds in the cutscenes but not in-game, try this:
If you’re using Windows XP:
- Click on Start
- Click on Run
- In the text area type dxdiag and press OK.
- After the DirectX Diagnostic Tool has finished loading click on the Sound or Sound 1 tab located at the top.
- Set the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level to Standard Acceleration by moving the slider bar.
- Test the game this way, and also try lowering the Acceleration to Basic or None.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, try disabling compatibility mode if it has been enabled:
- Go to the game shortcut in your steam files C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommon…
- Right Click Hitman.exe
- Select Properties
- Click on the Compatibility tab
- Make sure the Run this program in compatibility mode is NOT checked.
- Click OK.
Hitman: Absolution DirectX out of memory error
Disable any running background applications. This includes your anti-virus programs which may be using up memory.
Hitman: Absolution has poor FPS performance
- Usually you can prevent Hitman: Absolution from lagging or freezing by disabling vsync and antialiasing on the Hitman: Absolution’s exe file via the AMD Vision Engine Control Center (AMD/ATI) or Nvidia Control Panel (nVidia)
- Alternatively you can stop Hitman: Absolution from lagging via your PC task manager. In Windows 7, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and click on Task Manager, go to Processes, then right-click on Hitman: Absolution’s respective exe file and set priority above normal or higher. You must do this every time you play the game.
- In addition, your anti-virus may be the problem here. There are certain anti-virus software that are not ideal for gaming so, check our Technical References page for some suggestions.
- If you’re still using Windows XP, upgrade to Windows 7. Honestly, a lot of users have attested this to be the fastest solution they’ve tried.
- For more advanced users, try enabling/forcing tripple buffering and V-sync using the D3DOverrider software. Check our Technical References page to download D3DOverrirder / RivaTuner.
- Finally make sure that your Internet connection is stable. This is a commonly overlooked problem especially for online modes / multiplayer games.
An error occured while updating Hitman: Absolution (Disk IO failure)
Whoops, your disk is full! Simply free up space on your hard drive and you should be good to go.
Hitman: Absolution won’t start after pressing play
In Windows 7 go the Hitman: Absolution installation folder, right-click the Hitman: Absolution exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition.’ Then try running Hitman: Absolution once more.
Failed to start game – Missing Executable
Right-click Hitman: Absolution > Properties > Local Files tab > Verify Integrity of Game Cache
Can I run Hitman: Absolution?
Check the Hitman: Absolution Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Windows Vista, 7
- Processor: True dual core CPU (Intel, AMD)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Video Card: NV8600 512 Mb RAM, or AMD equivalent
- DirectX®: 10
That’s all we have for now to help you fix any problems you might have in running Hitman: Absolution. We welcome your feedback and suggestions in the comments section below!