XCOM is probably the hottest PC game to hit shelves this October, and we at Crash Wiki were so pumped to see how it plays out. Introducing a mix of tactics, base management, and action, XCOM is reinventing gameplay as we speak. But, we know you’re here because you can’t even run this awesome game, right? Find the solutions to your game problems in this exclusive fix list we’ve compiled for you!
XCOM Fix for Errors, Cannot Zoom, No Voice, Corrupt Game Files, and More
XCOM does not launch
According to users in the 2K forums, you may have an uninstalled patch preventing you from launching XCOM. Restart Steam and you should expect the patch fix to be downloaded allowing you to run XCOM succcessfully.
XCOM error: “Corrupt Game File”
Chill, and stop hammering that Play button.
If you’re using Steam, the first thing you should do is to verify the integrity of your Steam game cache. If the error persists, make sure your DirectX is updated or installed properly. For some users, a reinstallation of DirectX fixed the problem.
Cannot hear voices but music and effects play properly
Thanks to TheMystic from the 2K forums for this fix:
I was having the same issue, came to find out that my 5.1 Logitech kit’s control module wasn’t properly sending audio to anything but the left and right channels. 3D sound mode was activated on the module, and turning it off seems to have fixed the problem.
XCOM crashes randomly
Random crashes are usually caused by a mix of minor elements on your PC. We recommend going through the following checklist and adjusting accordingly based on your situation.
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes XCOM performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the XCOM, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, then restart XCOM
- Disable V-sync, then restart XCOM
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the XCOM exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
How to zoom in the base
Probably one of the most popular problems out there is that users seem to be having trouble zooming in the antfarm base. Try holding down the middle mouse button and see if that works. Other users found that adjusting their key bindings does the trick. If those solutions don’t work, let us know in the comments section below.
XCOM camera problems
Credits to carldivine in the 2K forums:
To those having problems with unexplained camera movements, please check for any other plugged controllers such as joysticks and gamepads as this will mess up your camera controls.
XCOM has Bad Textures, Texture Breaks, Texture Glitch on gaming laptop
If your XCOM installation is suffering from bad textures, disable anti-aliasing and filtering in your in-game video options. If your BIOS has the option, disable ‘Switchable Graphics’. This will remove your laptop PC’s ability to automatically switch between the onboard intel graphics card and the nVidia / ATI graphics chip, thus smoothening out gameplay.
Fix for Quad Core and Multi-Core PCs
If you’re using a Quad Core rig, try this fix to reduce possible crashing problems:
- Start XCOM
- Alt+Tab Out of the game
- Open Task Manager
- Right click on XXX.exe
- Set Affinity
- Select core 0 and 1 only. You need to run the game on two CPU’s basically, so to avoid the crash to desktop.
XCOM keeps freezing or stuttering in-game
Users in the 2K forums claim that this may be due to GPU overheating issues. Make sure you have sufficient cooling for your PC tower. Try opening the side panel of your PC tower and blowing an electric fan through it and run XCOM.
So far, these are the most popular solutions we’ve found for XCOM game problems. If you continue to experience crashes and errors despite our suggestions, please let us know in the comments section so we can try and help out.