Europa Universalis IV: Art of War comes to enrich the already successful grand strategy wargame franchise. There are still some unresolved issues around, and later updates have even added some more. So here’s a list of 10 fixes for common problems. Before anything else, always remember that most game problems may go away if your PC meets minimum system requirements and if you have all hardware drivers updated, as well as any required redistributables (DirectX, C++ runtime etc) installed properly.
Europa Universalis IV: Art of War Crash Fixes, Steam Launch, Save Error, Low FPS, Freezing, Video Errors, Visual C++, DirectX, .NET missing errors, Ubuntu
1) Europa Universalis IV: Art of War launcher crashes
Make sure you have Microsoft .NET framework installed:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653and also let Windows Update find and install any necessary patches/updates for them (if there are any).
2) Europa Universalis IV: Art of War game crashes
Make sure you have Visual C++ redistributables installed properly:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328As well as this version of DirectX:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
3) Game crashes with “This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.” message.
- Backup your saved games.
- In the Steam game page select “delete local content”.
- Go to the Steam game directory and manually delete it. Do the same for DocumentsParadox InteractiveEuropa Universalis IV directory.
- Reinstall game in Steam and when done run a verification check.
4) Game lags a lot, hiccups, slowdowns.
- Download and install the latest graphics card drivers from your manufacturer website.
- If everything is up to date and the problem persists, try disabling save game compression option in options->game menu.
5) Steam crashes after playing for a couple of minutes in Ironman.
Using the Cloud saves for Ironman is usually the cause. Starting your ironman game using local saves will fix this. In Steam go to Settings > Downloads + Cloud > uncheck Enable Steam Cloud.
6) Game starts with black screen, audio can be heard.
The game starts in fullscreen mode and most likely in a resolution that your PC doesn’t like. Open the following file: DocumentsParadox InteractiveEuropa Universalis IVsettings.txtand change the line “fullscreen = yes” to “fullscreen = no”.The game will now start in windowed mode and from there you can set whatever screen mode is compatible.
7) Game doesn’t save, save files disappear.
- Uncheck the save game compression option in options->game menu.
- If you use the Cloud, try disabling it (see #5).
8) Game hangs/freezes when loading.
Pressing alt-tab may reveal the Windows “This program has stopped responding” message box. Pressing “Wait for the program to respond” will allow the game to continue loading without crashing. This usually happens when randomly mouse-clicking during load.
9) Running Europa Universalis IV: Art of War using a TV for display doesn’t work.
TV incompatibilities aside, you might get past this one yet: Open the following file: DocumentsParadox InteractiveEuropa Universalis IVsettings.txtand change the following lines to look like this:x=1024y=768refreshRate=30Experiment with these values (within logical ranges) to see if your TV can catch up with any of them.
10) [Ubuntu] Game cursor disppears, screen tearing occurs.
According to the devs, using proprietary drivers for the video card instead of open source ones should fix this error.
Since Art of War is still fresh out there, more errors and crashes are bound to appear. In the meantime, make sure you apply any driver updates, and always keep a backup of your save files even separately from Steam Cloud, because the game’s patches have been known to occasionally corrupt existing saves. And, as always, if you have a specific problem not listed in the above, don’t forget to post it in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help.